DuFrene Family

DuFrene Family
Such a beautiful family!

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Day 2

Yesterday, we received the devasting news that our sister was diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukemia.  Kristine had been battling a cold and sinus infection the past 3 months.  She saw a few different doctors during this time, taken the prescribed antibiotics and just kept going about life, toughing out the days she didn't feel good, pushing herself like many moms do.  Luckily, the doctor she saw most recently had the presence of mind to order blood tests. 

Day 1:  February 28, 2011

Upon receiving her blood test results and the diagnosis, Kristine was immediately admitted into the hospital.  She has undergone several tests, including a painful bone marrow test and was told she will start chemotherapy the following day and will be hospitalized for approximately one month.

Day 2:  March 1, 2011

They have been prepping Kristine for her chemo all day.  She received a blood transfusion this morning in order to get her red blood cell count up and, forgive me, I don't know the proper terminology, but they somehow removed some of her white blood cells as these are exceedingly high.  I just spoke with Dave (5PM) and he said they are about to start her chemo shortly. 

Kristine will undergo seven straight days of chemo.  She is being very brave and has a positive attitude.  Dave said he was going to have a friend talk with Kristine today who is a cancer survivor which will only help reinforce Kristine's positivity. 

If you are wanting to see what kind of help Dave may need or have some advice to offer, please share them here or email me at bbcsmom@gmail.com and I will share them with him.  As you can imagine, Dave is being overwhelmed with phone calls of care and concern which he truly appreciates, but we are asking that you please utilize this blog moving forward.  Please share this URL with friends to keep abreast of Kristine's progress and post any messages you want to send to Dave and Kristine. 

Please do not send flowers or plants as Kristine cannot have them in her room.  However, if you'd like to send a card you may do so.  Cards can be sent to:
Kristine DuFrene
c/o Orange Coast Memorial Medical Center
9920 Talbert Avenue
Oncology Unit, Rm #232
Fountain Valley, CA 92708

If you call Dave, please do not be offended if you receive a return call from me instead.  He is having a difficult time with all of this as you can imagine and is passing his messages along to me. 

Thank you to everyone for all your care and concern.  Let's all continue to pray for Kristine to beat this and be back home with her beautiful babies!

6 comments:

  1. We love you Kristine and know your strength is going to beat this. My high school friend Brett beat cancer and is a huge inspiration to me. Peace, Love and Strength to you, Dave, and your whole family....you've got this. Let me know what I can do <3

    Jill Witham I'm so sorry to hear about Kristine. My step brother is 10 years post stem cell CURE for same type of leukemia. I'm glad they figured it out and got on this asap! Prayers and thoughts for your family. Please let me know if the family wants any info re:transplant at UCLA. Xoxoxo Jilly

    Brett Dalton March 1 at 9:05pm Report
    Hi Kelly, I'm so sorry to hear about your cousin's wife. Very difficult stuff. I had Non-Hodgekins Lymphoma. Where does your cousin and his wife live? I'm happy to pass my Dr.'s info on. I went to City of Hope. They are awesome there. There are many support groups and resources available to help. Wellness Community is one. They sent me meditation cd's for free, which were helpful. Wespark is also a great resource. Feel free to call me if you'd like to discuss or if you have any questions that I can help with. 310-963-5266 and feel free to give your cousin my number if you'd like.

    Brett Dalton March 1 at 9:05pm Report
    There are lots of different types of Leukemia. Some are curable. My mother in law was diagnosed with a form 2 years ago and was cured within months. They are coming up with new treatments every day so don't give up hope and stay positive! Prayer helps. So does Reiki. My wife would perform Reiki on me sometimes when the prednisone was making me want to jump out of my skin in the middle of the night. Sometimes it was the only thing that would relax me enough to rest. Love and positive healing energy works miracles every day. Hopefully Kristine gets alot of that. I did and it worked.

    Here are a couple of amazing transforming experiences that took place while I was going through Chemo...

    http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=61343774835

    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=29918828194&set=a.427163483194.214828.684268194&theater

    Spiritual Experiences
    I'm grateful to say that I have had many spiritual experiences in my life. As a matter of fact, I believe everyday above ground is a spiritual experience after you have survived stage 4 cancer. I can't say that I recognize God at every moment but I have faith that God does exist...
    Share
    By:Brett Dalton

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you sisters for keeping us informed....technology is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No need to thank us. We are the ones who are so very thankful for all the friends and family who have passed along their well wishes and prayers for Kristine. Kristine needs this type of positive feedback from everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To Kristine:
    Hey girl! Just wanted to send a little note to tell you that you are Dark Angel and WILL beat this! I love you very much and will come see you really soon. You are such a strong person and with prayer and wonderful family and friends you will get through this no problem. You are one of my very best friends in the whole world and I love you sista! hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kristine you are one of the strongest gals I know...you will beat this. Much LOVE from Myself, Dan and Wyatt!!! MUAH!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kristine - We haven't talked or seen eachother in years, But I know in my heart with the love of your children and your "TRUE" love Dave you will beat this!! You are a strong, strong woman! I was beside myself when I read the news on your FB page, I wish you well real soon. I know with your strong mind and heart you will be in remission in no time!

    You are in my thoughts and prayers!!

    Love ~
    Nina

    ReplyDelete